As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn More.
If you have a garage, probably it’s one of the most heavily used spaces in your home. From storing cars to tools to doing mad experiments, a garage floor goes through a lot of wear and tear. But have you ever got the idea of brightening it up with a fresh coat of paint?
Garage floor paint can give your space a polished look, protect your floor from stains, and cover cracks, and other damage. But with so many options out there, you might be wondering “what is the best garage floor paint”.
Luckily, in this guide, we are here with some paint products that we consider the best options for your garage floor. Additionally, we’ll talk about the key factors to consider when selecting garage floor paint, so you can make an informed purchase. So, let’s dive in!
How to Choose the Garage Floor Paint?
When it comes to choosing the best floor paint for your garage, you need to consider a few factors. These factors determine whether you are going to see a shiny garage for years or you are going to notice paint chipping after a few days!
So, here are some factors that you need to consider carefully before you make a purchase.
- Durability: As I said earlier, a garage has to withstand a lot of wear and tear. That’s why, ordinary paint will not be a suitable option for your garage. So, you need to select a paint that is durable enough to withstand a lot of traffic.
You also need to make sure that the paint is long-lasting because you don’t want to see the paint coming off after a few days of application.
- Coverage: Whether you are painting the garage floor or any other surface, it’s important to pick a product that can provide better coverage. So, look for products that can cover larger areas with comparatively less amount of paint.
- Drying time: Since the garage is a place that you need to visit frequently, it’s important to consider the drying time of the paint. This is because it will be problematic if you have to park your car outside for days just to ensure that the floor paint is properly dry. Therefore, pick a paint product that dries relatively quickly.
- Color and finish: Garage floor paints are available in a variety of colors and finishes. Though the style and design of your garage are totally up to you, it will be a smart decision if you pick a color that complements your home’s exterior.
- Budget: Garage floor paint can be available at a range of prices, that’s why you need to select the paint wisely. When it comes to painting the garage floor, your goal should be to cover as much area as possible, spending as little as you can.
However, we are not discouraging you to spend money on buying good quality paint. Don’t compromise on quality for cost. Good paint can save you a lot of money in the long run. We are simply recommending you select a paint that will get the job done without emptying your wallet.
While it may be difficult to find a single product that possesses all the mentioned qualities, aim to select a product that satisfies most of these criteria.
Also Read: Is It Safe to Store Paint in the Garage?
7 Best Garage Floor Paint Reviews 2023
Here are 7 paint products that we think are the best for your garage floors. Since there are different options to paint your garage floor, we are selecting a product from different categories to help you choose more easily.
1. Overall Best Paint for Garage Floor: KILZ 1-part Epoxy Acrylic Paint
If you are looking to give your rusty old garage a new look, the first product you should look for is this epoxy acrylic paint. This one-part epoxy acrylic paint is formulated to provide a durable finish on hard-to-clean areas of your house, for instance, your garage or basement.
You can use this paint on a variety of surfaces, from masonry to brick to uncoated concrete. This KILZ garage floor paint dries to touch relatively quickly; in just two hours. And you can even re-coat in four hours only.
This concrete paint offers good coverage. On a smooth surface, one gallon of this paint is enough to cover 400-500 sq. ft. areas, and on rough surfaces, one gallon of paint can cover 300-400 sq. ft. area.
- The paint can be applied on new and uncoated concrete surfaces.
- It dries quickly, allowing you to complete the project faster.
- It is capable of covering a significant area with just one gallon of paint.
- This product is not suitable for vertical surfaces, so you are limited to using it on horizontal surfaces only.
If you want to give your garage a vibrant look and make it last for years, this paint can be a good fit for your job. It’s easy to use and provides a durable finish in high-traffic areas.
2. Best Epoxy Paint for Garage Floor: Coloredepoxies 10002 Clear Epoxy Resin Coating
Are you thinking of giving your garage floor a unique metallic look? Then this Coloredepoxies clear resin is the thing you need! This amazing epoxy coating is suitable for a variety of surfaces like concrete, steel, iron, and resinous flooring. Also, it is suitable for industrial, commercial, and residential uses.
It is a great choice for professionals and DIYers because it gives them the freedom to work with their creative style. You can use it with mica flakes, quartz, metallic pigments, and various color flakes.
This two-component epoxy coating system acts as a waterproof barrier against moisture, making it an ideal choice for your garage floor. Lastly, this industrial-strength epoxy coating is VOHAP-free and contains low VOC.
- The product is easy to use and provides a durable finish.
- This clear epoxy coating can be used on various surfaces.
- It contains low VOC, so no worries about health hazards.
- You may need to wait for seven hours in between each coat.
If you want to give your garage floor a durable epoxy coating, and you have plenty of time in your hand, you can opt for this product and show your creativity.
3. Best Garage Floor Paint Coating Kit: Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Esh-06
If you are a person who loves to do some “mad scientific experiments” in his garage, then epoxy shield floor coating can be a great choice for you! As the name suggests, it works as a shield for your garage floor and provides resistance to chemicals, daily wear and tear, and even standing water.
It’s suitable for places that go through a lot of wear and tear like basements, garage floors, workshops, and so on. One gallon of this floor coating can cover up to 200 square feet of area.
Lastly, as Rust-Oleum claims, your garage will be ready for foot traffic in just one day and for vehicle traffic, it will take 4 days.
- It protects your floor from daily traffic, chemicals, and water.
- Allows you to use decorative chips for personalization.
- This epoxy floor coating is relatively easy to use.
- You may need to wait for a relatively long time to use the floor after applying it.
If you want to protect your workshop or garage floor where you need to work with chemicals regularly, this product can be an ideal choice for you. If your garage floor comes into contact with water occasionally, or if there is standing water on the floor at times, you might want to consider giving this kit a try.
4. Best Non Slip Garage Floor Paint: KILZ Decorative Concrete Coating
If you fear your garage floor, walkways, or pool decks are slippery and can cause accidents, especially on rainy days, this KILZ slip-resistant concrete coating can be an ideal choice for these areas.
This decorative concrete coating is ideal for both interior and exterior surfaces. Not only it provides a durable, protective finish, but also gives your lifeless masonry and concrete floors a stunning look.
This floor paint can withstand high traffic and hot tires. Plus, it fills up cracks, hiding imperfections on the floor. You may need to use multiple coats to achieve this, though.
- Provides a slip-resistant surface for walkways and pool decks.
- Can withstand heavy traffic and hot tires.
- This product can fill up cracks and other minor imperfections.
- This concrete coating is not suitable for vertical surfaces.
- It is not recommended to be used in areas where forklifts are used.
This product can be an ideal choice if you want a non-slippery surface to prevent accidents. That’s why it can be an ideal option for pool decks or other areas where it becomes slippery in contact with water, for instance, walkways or garage floors.
5. Best Concrete Garage Floor Paint: RUST-OLEUM 225359 Epoxy Shield
When it comes to painting a concrete garage floor, you need to ensure the paint remains durable for years and can withstand a lot of foot and tire traffic.
If you want a paint product that will not only provide a smooth and durable finish but also be easy to clean, this concrete floor paint can be the ideal choice for you. Since this paint features advanced acrylic technology, it can be easily applied and can be cleaned with soap and water only.
If you occasionally use your garage as your workshop, this paint can still be a great choice for you since it can withstand chemicals and hot tires. Plus, you can use this paint both indoors and outdoors.
- Provides a long-lasting smooth finish on concrete floors.
- Easy to clean; only soap and water does the job.
- Can withstand chemicals and is suitable for both interior and exterior.
- An improper application can result in a less durable finish.
This product can be a great choice for concrete floors. If you want less hassle while applying floor paint and you want it to clean easily, this can be the ideal option for you. However, you need to focus on surface preparation and application carefully because these can impact the durability of the resultant finish.
6. Best 1-Part Epoxy Garage Floor Paint: UNITED GILSONITE LAB 23813 Drylok E-1 Semi-Gloss Floor Paint
A good one-part epoxy garage floor paint can provide a durable finish that can last for years. Drylok E-1’s one-part epoxy floor paint could be the answer you need to transform your garage floor.
This floor paint is formulated to provide chemical resistance, excellent durability, and a beautiful finish. This amazing product can be used on a variety of surfaces including concrete floors, basement floors, patios, walkways, garage floors, etc.
With that said, no one would like a product that is hard to clean and maintain. But no worries with this 1-part epoxy garage floor paint because it can be maintained and cleaned easily. You can clean up this paint with water. It comes with low VOC, so no worries about health issues while working with this product.
- This product is tested for color retention, durability, and water resistance.
- Since it requires water for cleaning, it can be cleaned and maintained easily.
- Comes in a low VOC formula, an environmentally friendly option.
- Improper preparation and application may lead to peeling or unsatisfactory finish.
If you prefer to use a 1-part epoxy garage floor paint for floor painting, it can be an ideal solution for you. It provides a durable finish and is tested for various factors like color retention, water resistance, chemical resistance, etc.
7. Best Affordable Garage Floor Paint: Rust Bullet – Duragrade Easy to Apply Concrete Coating
Acid etching can be time-consuming. Wouldn’t it be great if you could directly apply the paint on your concrete garage floor without acid etching? Well, it’s possible with this DuraGrade concrete paint, as Rust Bullet claims. According to the company’s information, you can directly apply this product to a concrete surface.
When it comes to covering the garage floor with paint, we all love an affordable option that does the job well yet doesn’t cost a pretty penny. We picked this concrete coating as the best affordable garage floor paint since it provides a durable finish at an affordable cost.
It is easy to apply, and you can work with rollers, brushes, and spray equipment. It can withstand hot tire pickup and provides slip resistance. In addition, its ability to provide good coverage makes it a suitable option for projects of various sizes.
- The floor coating provides UV, chip, scratch, and chemical resistance.
- It provides good coverage, which makes this product suitable for projects of various sizes.
- It is an environmentally friendly option to work with.
- You may need surface preparation for optimal results, despite the company’s assertion that it can be applied directly.
If you are looking for a product that will give optimal results at an affordable price, this Rust Bullet concrete coating can be the best choice for your project.
Is Painting a Garage Floor a Good Idea?
Yes, painting your garage floor can be a great idea. There are several benefits of painting garage floors that you might want to coat your garage floor with good quality paint. Take a look.
- Aesthetics: A garage floor with bare concrete may look dull and lifeless, so painting it with a good quality paint product can amp up the floor and bring an aesthetic look to your house.
- Personalization: Instead of using plain paint, you can use some decorative chips to the paint that not only will create a unique look, but help make the floor less slippery.
- Protection: Floor paint can cover stains, splits, cracks, and other types of damage, working as a protective layer between high traffic and the concrete floor.
- Easier to clean: Coatings of paint on the garage floor can make it comparatively easier to clean than bare concrete.
- Increases property value: A well-painted garage floor can add a beautiful look to your house, attracting potential buyers or renters.
Is It Better to Paint Or Epoxy Garage Floor?
This depends on your personal preferences. Both are great options for painting a garage floor. However, they have some differences in terms of performance. Let’s take a deeper look.
Firstly, you should not confuse this product with a paint type called epoxy paint; this is a different product. Epoxy coatings are generally hardened through a chemical reaction between a hardener and a resin. Epoxy coatings create a durable and long-lasting finish. It is a great option for your garage floor, but for some epoxy products, you may need to spend a pretty penny.
Garage floor paint can be an easy and cost-effective option to renovate your garage floor. Garage floor paints can come in a wide variety of colors and types, for instance, oil-based, latex-based, etc. However, in terms of durability, they may not be a good competitor to epoxy coatings.
To sum it up, I will say, the choice is really up to you. If you want a durable finish you can go with epoxy coatings, but if you want a more vibrant and budget-friendly option, you can opt for garage floor paints.
Do I Need to Prime Garage Floor before Painting?
Yes, I recommend using a good-quality primer before applying the garage paint. Priming the floor can help better paint adhesion and ultimately provide a long-lasting, beautiful-looking garage floor. To choose a primer for your garage floor, make sure you select a primer that is compatible with concrete garage floors.
For primer application,
- First, tape the areas of your wall where they meet the floor. You can use painter’s tape for this.
- Then start priming the edges of the garage floor with a brush.
- Once the edges are done, switch to a roller and quickly prime the rest of the areas of the floor.
Next Read: Is Primer Suitable for Use as Ceiling Paint?
What Kind of Paint Should I Use on My Garage Floor?
There can be several options in hand for painting your garage. Since each type of paint has its specific benefits, you can select one that suits your job the most. Here are some commonly used paint types that you can use on your garage floor:
- Acrylic Garage Floor Paints
These paints come in a wide variety of colors and are easy to use. Though this type of paint may cost you a bit more money than other paint types, it will provide a durable finish.
- Latex Garage Floor Paints
These paints are easy to apply and can be cleaned easily. They also dry quickly and are safe to use. It’s a great and cost-effective option for your garage floor.
- Epoxy Garage Floor Paints
It is a durable option for your garage floors. It may come in variants like true epoxy (2-part formula) and 1-part epoxy.
What Type of Paint Is Best for Concrete Floors?
The term “best” may differ from person to person. In terms of floor paint, some may consider a budget-friendly product to be the “best” option for them, while others may consider a durable one to be the “best”.
Anyway, to select floor paint for dressing up your concrete floor, you have two good options in hand; Epoxy Paint and Acrylic Latex Paint. Since acrylic latex paint is water-based, it can work with the floor surface quite easily. It will also cost less compared to epoxy.
Epoxy paint is known for its durability. It can provide a longer-lasting finish and withstand high traffic. However, it may cost more than acrylic latex paint. So, we say, the best product for your concrete floors will ultimately depend on your preferences and budget.
After discussing the important factors to keep in mind when selecting paint for your garage floor, I went ahead and reviewed some products for you. We looked at different types of floors, paint options, and budgets to help you find the right fit.
I organized the products into different categories, so you can easily see which product is best for which task. You can compare the key factors of each product I reviewed and choose the one that best fits your project. So, go ahead and select the perfect paint for your garage floor.